Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 12:13AM
Poll
25 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Would you eat Dog Meat ?

April 3, 2008 - 6:14AM

The Seoul city government is seeking to classify man's best friend as livestock in order to set food safety standards for South Korean lovers of dogmeat, officials say.

Somewhere between two and four million dogs are estimated to be consumed in South Korea every year, but the slaughtering and processing is carried out in dirty environments and poses a risks to diners' health, they said.

Since dogs are not currently classed as livestock there are no hygiene regulations on their slaughter, officials said.

"Dogs are consumed in their millions in this country every year. That's a fact. We have to take care of this situation," said Lee Hae-Woo, head of the city government's department of food safety.

"We plan to recommend to the central government that dogs are classified as livestock," he told AFP. "This is like a hot potato, but we don't pretend the issue does not exist."

South Korea's capital has always been ambivalent about dogmeat. To avoid adverse publicity before the 1988 Olympics, the city banned dogmeat and snakemeat as "abhorrent food".

The order is now largely ignored and an estimated 500 dogmeat restaurants operate in Seoul alone.

The reclassification proposal sparked angry reactions from animal activists, who staged street protests and launched online signature campaigns.

"No other country in the world but South Korea gives a legal green light to dogmeat consumption," the Korea Association for Animal Protection said in a statement.

"South Korea's motto is globalisation but it seeks to go back to the Stone Age as far as dogmeat consumption is concerned."

Lee Won-Bok, association president, said if the proposal became reality, dogmeat consumption would increase drastically.

"It's horrible to imagine dogmeat on display next to beef and ham at supermarkets. It would also be nauseating to see roasted dogmeat on the menu of your restaurant," he said.

AFP
Posted by: ORLANDO399 [x] - (68.202.151.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:15AM
Sick fuckersthumbs up
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.230.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:21AM
I've never understood why it's acceptable to eat some animals and not others...

meat from cows is called beef...
meat from pigs is called pork...
meat from chickens is called poultry...
what do you call meat from dogs?
or is that what spam is made from?
Date: April 03, 2008 04:33AM
pro_junior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never understood why it's acceptable to eat
> some animals and not others...
>
>
>
> meat from cows is called beef...
> meat from pigs is called pork...
> meat from chickens is called poultry...
> what do you call meat from dogs?
> or is that what spam is made from?

Much of modern language was formed when the Normans ruled England.
Whilst the producers (English serfs) called it Cow or Cattle,
the consumers (Norman ruling class) called it Beef,
and so on and so forth.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.230.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 05:07AM
don't let your meat loaf...
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2008 05:10AM
Loundeye Spessil! Wok da dog!
Posted by: 90130_ [x] - (71.111.49.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 05:54AM
Are you out of your fuckin' minds??
Posted by: woberto [x] - (216.9.247.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 09:15AM
Meat is meat but most countries have laws regarding 'companion animals' that prevent you eating your dog. A few years back a man wa charged in Australia for feeding kittens to his pet python. He bought them at the same store he usually buys his rats & mice, which you are allowed to kill. What's the difference? A cat is a 'companion animal'.
I would eat a dog, but not if I could have a cute baby sheep instead (we call that lamb).
Posted by: blinkermann [x] - (70.253.148.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:08PM
I had dog in China. It was ok. I had horse in France. It was a bit tough. Chicken, pigs, lambs, and cows taste much better.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.71.---)
Date: April 03, 2008 10:36PM
I like red snapper...
Date: April 03, 2008 11:36PM
Mexican Hairless is a delicacy
drinking smiley
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (24.21.92.---)
Date: April 05, 2008 02:23AM
I had a hotdog for lunch
I had a hot dog for lunch
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2009 09:39PM
Posted by: woberto [x] - (165.228.161.---)
Date: June 15, 2009 10:28PM
Ha ha, like the Simpsons episode where Lisa discovers the alien's cookbook.
How to Cook ..... Humans
Posted by: quasi [x] - (208.78.130.---)
Date: June 16, 2009 01:15AM
I believe, woberto, that Simpsons episode is a take off on an old Twilight Zone where mankind is hard at work trying to decipher a book given to them by some seemingly benign and helpful ETs. At first, all that is known is the title of the book, "To Serve Man", and of course everyone believes it's service as in being helpful until it's discovered that it's actually a cookbook.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (165.228.161.---)
Date: June 16, 2009 02:00AM
Thanks quasi, I appreciate Simpsons trivia, not sure why though. Most episodes have some kind of take of other movies, Seinfeld did it to perfection also.
Posted by: dv8 [x] - (69.132.105.---)
Date: June 27, 2009 08:19AM
how bout what this guy goes around eating. [www.travelchannel.com]
he loves and admits to eating a lot of animal balls. cheese with maggots. try to watch the show around dinner time.

bizarre foods with andrew zimmern

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2009 08:20AM by dv8.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: