Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2008 07:14PM
Fossil, you should be adding to this forum now. You convert! thumbs down
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.240.---)
Date: July 26, 2008 12:55AM
uh.....like.......i have one........and i can make it do a couple things. smiling bouncing smiley
and i've turned off a few and can't turn 'em back on. smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.146.---)
Date: July 26, 2008 06:44PM
Yep, like I said, plenty of rope to hang yourself and all the rights to do it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But, as you navigate through all the screw ups you make, you learn stuff too, so it's all good dude thumbs down
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2008 08:46PM
yes a good point! Listen you must to Jedi Kim, padawon Fossil.
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.240.---)
Date: August 19, 2008 08:37PM
but i am ready for the trials master jedi. sad smiley
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (69.152.15.---)
Date: August 20, 2008 06:46PM
Hell yeah, and now you at least have a back-up copy of the OS .... just in case smiling bouncing smiley

BTW PLP,you know you have fossils original copy of Ubuntu 8.04 doncha winking smiley

I'm doin great, I haddn broken my OS in a cuppla months now, wooohooooo smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: woberto [x] - (121.91.22.---)
Date: August 22, 2008 10:52AM
Kim, which firewall do you prefer/use?
I've setup a laptop with Ubuntu Hardy Heron.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (69.152.15.---)
Date: August 22, 2008 04:13PM
I don't really use one, but I do have Firestarter installed for fun. Actually I just use it to monitor and track hits to my machine for kicks.

I had some jackass threaten me with wiping out my machine with a viral attack a cuppla weeks ago when I called him for spammin an automotive info based list I frequent with cars and stuff for sale from his business & he didn like it. The lists owner/moderator banned him instantly for postin the crap, but he took exception with my having commented on the list for his posting the stuff so he began emailing me and making threats. I told him to take his best shot and then watched him tryin for hours to get into my machine, funny really. Power to the penguin smileys with beer

I'm buildin a new machine with some serious hardware upgrades compared to the one I have now in my office that will also be a Linux box. Though there are tons of Linux distros to choose from, with the mainstream open source acceptance of Ubuntu and the requisite support it's receiving it's a shoe in for me as my choice for a Linux OS.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.144.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 06:12AM
Haddn rattled this cage in a while smiling bouncing smiley

Finally got off my ass and finished my new machine for the office. Intel Micro ATX MoBo, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz processor ~ 4mgs cache with a monster Coolermaster CPU cooler and dual 120s to cool it and the 4 gigs of 800mhz DDR2 memory, 3-SATA 160 gig Hitachi HDs, SATA DVD-RW, internal card reader w/front USB/E-SATA ports, 8-rear USB ports, rear E-SATA port, individual rear mounted fan controllers for each of the 4 internal 120mm fans, 650 watt power supply w/120mm internal vent fan and loaded it up with a 64 bit version of Ubuntu 8.10. And ... with all 5-120mm fans runnin it's way more quiet than my home machine with the same # of 80mm fans!

The hardware is not all that fancy by todays quad core 3+ghz - 1333 DDR3 standards but this lil puppy ROCKS. Makes finally retirin the old XP machine a no brainer smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 06:15AM by Mrkim.
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:24AM
I'm eyeing off the new Core i7 stuff for a new home box but it's still a bit too expensive to do a full replacement of my tired desktop.

I recently threw a new graphics card and CPU in it, so it's a Q6600 4x2.4GHz cores, 4 gig ram, about 2.5TB disk space (plus 5TB in the NAS) and an 900mb Nvidia 260 OC graphics card.

Does a nice job of GTA4... not that I play many games. But hey, it's nice to know I can. My linux server at home is a baby 'eee box', uses almost no power (less than 5W on average) and does all my mail/dns/proxy/downloads etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2009 12:26AM by pulse.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (123.200.251.---)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:19AM
I recently worked on a mailserver running Fedora10 and it was pretty slick considereing the old hardware it was installed on.
No gui applications on that sucker whatsoever, took me a while to bash my way around.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:52AM
I haven't messed around with anything linux in a few years now, but I saw this on digg and thought maybe it might be helpful to some of you...
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-fix-most-common-linux-problems
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.164.244.---)
Date: December 30, 2009 06:37AM
With every recent revision to Ubuntu makin some nice strides forward (and havin eliminated TONS of problems I was havin) I'm curious if anyone else new is kickin it with the penguin these days?
Posted by: ORLANDO399 [x] - (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:46AM
LINUX SUCKS (*facepalm*)
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.170.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:56AM
some people will never learn. smiling bouncing smiley(*facepalm*)smiling bouncing smiley
Date: January 01, 2010 07:32AM
Hey 'lando, curious how much time on a linux machine it took you to arrive at that conclusion?

I betcha 60 minutes or less on mine and you'd be chunkin your machine in the yard usin it for target practice grinning smiley

smoking smiley
Date: January 03, 2010 07:25PM
Damn 'lando, you're startin to act like a fuckin liberal. What's up with that shit?
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2010 03:34AM
bought a new computer at best buy today...the didnt have any linux there
Date: January 07, 2010 03:37AM
smiling bouncing smiley dumbass! smiling bouncing smiley

for $50 i'll hook you up. smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 03:39AM by fossil_digger.
Date: January 07, 2010 06:28PM
goin' once......
Date: January 07, 2010 08:27PM
if you act today, you get 2 pc's fer da price of one and a free mousepad.....goin' twice.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 08:28PM by fossil_digger.
Date: January 09, 2010 12:59AM
20 Fi dolla, 20 Fi dolla .., me hook ju up fo 20 fi dolla
Posted by: ORLANDO399 [x] - (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2010 04:05AM
Poor texans..maybe you two cowboys should get out a little more often!!!!!!!up yours
Date: January 09, 2010 04:12AM
the world couldn't handle that. up yours
Date: January 12, 2010 04:54AM
You people are strange.

I think I'm up to 5 linux boxes now (not including any of the web servers etc for the sites)

Though I also have a mac and a win7 box. Hrm. Evil.
Date: January 12, 2010 02:37PM
I'm almost right there with ya pulse. I have 4 linux machines and an XP machine -> (lives offline as a purely bookkeeping machine) here at the casa. I haddn tried 7 yet though I've heard good things from users which must be music to MS's ears after the huge Vista debacle they're tryin to work their way past.

Mac comes in as a second best choice for me but their funky ways and lack of ease in customizing the look and feel of the system is a major turn off since I'm so used to tweakin and customizin my set up in so many ways with Ubuntu. Another major turn off to me is iTunes inability to work with .flac and .ogg music files as these comprise over 1/2 the music I have these days and converting 150+ gigs to .aac files just to suit iTunes seems like more than I should have to do, not to mention an operation that would likely take a day or 2, so I don't.

In the past 6 months I've built machines for 2 great nieces and a great nephew, both my daughters, my brother in law and my sister and they are all runnin Ubuntu except my sisters which is a dual boot laptop with Ubuntu and a strange morhing of XP/Vista called Vision. I feel like startin my nieces and nephew out with linux machines at 4,5 and 10 yrs old actually will give them a perspective few kids their age will have, and in time, serve to teach them more about their machines than they would learn runnin MS/Mac OSes comparatively.

But, back to 'landos comment. My suspicion is he's like so many windows fan-boy types who talk shit about linux yet have never even spent as much as an hour on on a linux machine and simply choose to decry windows as the best OS ever without any read knowledge of anything else to back up their claim eye rolling smiley

I've converted a cuppla handfuls of MS users to Ubuntu and the most common reason is they have a system so eaten up with viruses and assorted malware that their machines have either completely stopped bootin or run like a turtle in quicksand. With Ubuntu bein so easy to just pop a cd into the drive and cruise right past all that crap then run like the wind in comparison to what they thought their machines could do before they seem to fall in love with their machine all over again.

I've yet to have seen even one convert switch back to MS either, which seems kinda tellin to me too winking smiley
Posted by: GAK67 [x] - (202.27.219.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 08:31PM
I've got a cheap laptop that was running Vista. I changed to Ubuntu and loved the performance improvement I got - I do a lot of photography and running GIMP on it was so much easier, but I struggled to load programs on to it that I wanted - like Skype. I resorted back to MS, but reverted to XP instead of Vista. I would like to go back to Linux/Ubuntu but would need to do some training on how to use it properly.
Date: January 13, 2010 05:26AM
I have a Voip line but I don't use Skype, works decent an it's cheap, so ... I know there are several different Voip phone programs for Ubuntu that offer a lot of cool tricks but I really haven't tried any of those either, tryin to stay with the KISS stuff. I do know the recent 9.10 has problems with Skype, though an installation of 8.04 or 8.10 should allow you to use Skype .... I think, so long as you don't take an upgrade to 9.10.

Though Ubuntu is constantly gettin more feature filled with each new release, it's still way streamlined in the way it runs compared to even XP, which yields performance for a big fat $0, my favorite price. If you stay with the 386/32bit versions you can do flash and even enable a nice touch (through firefox) that allows you to only enable the flash items on a page you choose to open, meaning sites with tons of that crap that would otherwise slow your surfin down as each page has to load and reload all that crap, you can get around a bit faster.

Audio/Video is important to me and thanks to fossil I can now go to one page on the web and get all the a/v codecs and such to play/watch any DVD (except Blu-Rays: ( and have the ability to then also copy 95% of DVDs to my HD, where I can then burn off discs that will play on any DVD player or in a DVD-ROM drive.

Rhythmbox has finally morphed into a nice music file player and supports .mp3, .aac, .ogg and the recent rage, .flac files. For video there's MoviePlayer, VLC, MPlayer or Xine and your video set up can also be tweaked any way you want with nVidia controls you can load easily.

You could also take a laptop runnin the above software with at least a 1 gig processor and 1/2 - 1gig of RAM, plop it down next to your nearest Flatscreen/Plasma/LCD/LED TV or monitor and a surround sound speaker set and drive it all with just 2 cables and a power cord.

Then if ya wanna get fancy, plug in a wireless bluetooth/USB keyboard/mouse set and ya gotta remote controlled computer A/V set up on the cheap. Fancier still is the FIRE remote for $100 that will replace the keyboard/mouse with a more familiar remote control with cool gyro functions.

With Open Office preloaded in Ubuntu it manages to do whatever I need except QuickBooks, so that's where the offline XP machine comes in handy.

Unless there are specific MS aps you need to run there's preciously little difference these days in goin with Ubuntu ... unless you just like doin the anti-virus shuffle, and runnin slower ... for more $$$.

I won't deny there's a learnin curve in runnin Ubuntu sometimes but I've also always been able to find just about anything I needed in forums and other communities to help slide over the crest of the hills.

I sure don't profess to be any kinda expert, though I've managed to pick up a few clues here an there and would be glad to help if you decide to take a look at Ubuntu again GAK smileys with beer
Date: January 13, 2010 11:14PM
I bought an Asus eeeBox EB1501 a few weeks ago pretty cheaply on ebay (about $380), it's a dual core Atom CPU and nVidia ION chipset/graphics.

Installed XBMC live onto it, and then bought an original Microsoft media centre remote control ($40). Perfect, full 1080p capable media player which can play basically any non DRM'd media type over network or from local / USB storage. It also has a slot loading DVD player (though bluray would've been nice).

It streams from my 5TB NAS via 802.11n wifi straight to TV via HDMI out. It's a fantastic solution, way better than any off the shelf media player and It Just Works(tm).

It's finally replaced my 8 year old Xbox as the heart of my media centre.

It comes with a wireless mini keyboard & mouse which are cool but the girlfriend prefers the remote so I got that too.

Ubuntu is the basis of XBMC Live, and you could of course install a full Gnome/KDE desktop and run XBMC through that, but I like the speed and reliability of just running the bare minimum that's required.
Date: January 14, 2010 02:34PM
Sounds like a cool toy pulse! I still haddn tried XBMC but I think I will load that up and give it a shot.

Though it's major overkill I know, the machine I'm workin on for my LR will have an i7-920 w/6gigs of DDR3 1333mhz triple channel ram at its core and at present 4.5tb of HD space which will need to be more like 8.5tb when it's all done so I can store my DVD and music collection in it in a raid array and then house it all in a Cooler Master Cosmos full tower case.

It will have a wireless card in it so I can use it to get on the net easily from time to time but will spend most of its life in offline mode with the monitor turned off and serve up music files as a backdrop to life here at the casa.

It is pretty trippy though to see the web plastered across a 50" screen rock on
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: