Posted by: quasi [x] - (64.215.250.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 03:45AM
Could there be a punishment for this animal that would be considered cruel and unusual?

MIAMI (AP) — A judge sentenced a man to death today, nearly nine years after he left a 5-year-old girl to be eaten alive by alligators in the Everglades and tried to kill her mother.

Harrel Franklin Braddy, 58, attacked Shandelle Maycock and daughter Quatisha after he was released early from prison in another case. He was convicted in July of first-degree murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, attempted escape and other charges.

Judge Leonard E. Glick also sentenced Braddy to three consecutive life terms on the kidnapping and burglary with an assault charges. He also got 30 years in prison on the attempted murder of Shandelle, 15 years on child neglect causing great bodily harm and five years on attempted escape.

Prosecutors said Braddy tossed Maycock in the trunk of his car in 1998 and drove her to a remote sugarcane field, choked her to unconsciousness and left her to die. She never saw her child again.

Braddy drove the girl to a section of Interstate 75 in the Everglades known as Alligator Alley and dropped her in the water beside the road, prosecutors said. She was alive when alligators bit her on the head and stomach, a medical examiner said.

Authorities found the girl's body two days later, her left arm missing and her skull crushed, prosecutors said. Maycock woke up bleeding and disoriented, but managed to flag down help.

Braddy's attorney, G.P. Della Fera, said Braddy knew Maycock from his involvement in church outreach programs.

The case took so long because Braddy repeatedly fired his lawyers and represented himself in court sometimes.

Braddy had been out of prison for a little over a year before the 1998 kidnapping. He was released early after serving 13 years of a 30-year sentence for several charges including attempted murder.

He wore an electric shock device and knee brace, making it difficult for him to bend his knee during the sentencing. The courtroom was filled with extra police officers, all measures taken after Braddy escaped from the courthouse in 1984 when he choked a Miami-Dade County corrections officer.

During two other escapes that year, Braddy kidnapped and robbed an assistant pastor and an elderly couple. At one point Braddy was on the run for more than a month before authorities found him in Georgia.

After he was arrested for kidnapping the Maycocks, he tried to escape from the interrogation room by bending an air conditioning grate.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.173.---)
Date: October 16, 2007 07:30AM
From the sounds of it quasi NOTHING that could happen to this cat would be considered "cruel or unusual" to me.

Then again I'm not a fuckin bleeding heart liberal who typically looks at a cat like this guy and says "Oh, he's a poor misguided product of a broken home and just needs understanding and to be rehabilitated, not to be put to death".

For my money, save the states $$ and just drop him in Alligator Alley like he did the kid and be done with him, no muss, no fuss smileys with beer

smoking smiley
Date: October 16, 2007 08:59PM
I agree with you, Kim, if ever there was a case where the punishment should be the same as the crime, this is it. Maybe all murderers should be executed in the same way they killed their victims - that sounds like a more just way of doing things and might actually be a deterent.
Posted by: The AntiChrist a.k.a. Osama Bin Laden [x] - (76.244.58.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 02:45AM
QUASI I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU ANY MORE!!! AMEN
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.173.---)
Date: October 17, 2007 05:31PM
Here's another idea for executions that'll never see implementation but sounds fine to me.

On the day of their execution simply put them in a room with all the other death row inmates and let them have their way with the "special of the day" . And hey, if more inmates happened to expire on the same "event day" that would be like a bonus thumbs down

smoking smiley
Posted by: euclidean [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:13AM
Aussie snowball chucker faces trial

Sydney Morning Herald
December 5, 2007 - 4:51PM

An Australian man working a seasonal job at a Copper Mountain ski shop in the western US state of Colorado is set to go to trial on Thursday for throwing a snowball.

District-Attorney Mark Hurlbert has said the object was more like an ice ball.

Andrew Thistleton, 21, is charged with third-degree assault and harassment after allegedly throwing the snowball at Michelle Oehlert on February 4 near the employee housing complex.

Oehlert told police she was walking to the bus stop when Thistleton and two other people began taunting her. Hurlbert said Oehlert's back was turned when the snowball struck her. Oehlert said she felt pain due to a prior injury from a car accident.

Thistleton pleaded not guilty in July. He has flown back to Colorado for the trial, said his lawyer, Lisa Moses.
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:15PM
whats the source?
Posted by: euclidean [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: December 06, 2007 12:49AM
sweet chilli
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.251.---)
Date: December 06, 2007 01:42AM
i like chili, only hot chili please
Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 09:11PM
Sydney Morning Herald (this is the sauce PLP!)
December 14, 2007

US prosecutors have dropped assault and harassment charges against an Australian man who threw a snowball at a Colorado ski resort co-worker's back.

It was in "the best interest of justice" to dismiss the case against 21-year-old Andrew Thistleton, US prosecutors said.
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2007 10:26PM
a snow ball. a snow ball. next it will be "He looked at me!"
Date: December 13, 2007 11:26PM
Hey dude, a few years back an Australian woman in Dallas was arrested for tapping an american woman on the shoulder in the movie theatre and telling her to stop talking. She was charged with assault and had to pay bail, then fly back a few months later to attend court. She ended up with only having to pay court costs.
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2007 12:15AM
I have a few comments on that, but I will leave em beexcept that that too is wrong.
USA has some real absurd problems and is unfortunate that they need to drag other nations into it. really sorry. believe me when I say there are some of us here in the USA being held hostage by national stupidity.
Date: December 14, 2007 02:14AM
Australia is following suit in the litigious society stakes.
It is incredibly rare to find outdoor playground equipment anymore because parents sue the local council when their retarded kid falls off the swing.
Even when I was a teenager they removed all of the outdoor basketball hoops because of lawsuits due to inappropriate use.
Where I grew up there was one case where a guy got pushed off a wall by his girlfriend (maybe not on purpose) and he successfully sued the council for x million dollars.
We have tourists every year that dive into the water and break their neck and sue the local Councils.
Australia provides compensation for anyone who is badly injured up to a level that provides a good standard of life (hard to qualify when you are in a wheelchair). But these greedy fuckers turn down the commonwealth compensation and go hunting for a person or institution that can be held liable.
When will people take responsibility for their own actions?
Date: December 14, 2007 03:50AM
How about the judge that tried to sue a drycleaner for five million dollars for losing his pants? At least that one got thrown out of court, but a judge?
As stupid as some of this litigation is in western society, and it's pretty damned ridiculous, it's pale in comparison to sentencing a rape victim to lashes and jail time or the possibility of a death sentence for a British school teacher who innocently names a teddy bear Muhammed.
Date: December 14, 2007 04:15AM
It's been mentioned before but I nearly choked on lunch a few weeks ago reading the latest farce from the muslim world.
A woman was sentenced to lashes after she was gang raped because she was out of the house with a man who was neither her husband or a relative. The man she was with was also gang raped at the same time.
The rapists did get gaol time but a week later they doubled her sentence of lashes.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.59.---)
Date: December 14, 2007 06:10AM
Date: December 15, 2007 12:35AM
Thanks for correcting me, p_j, but anything more than the actual replacement value of the pants is far to much.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.51.---)
Date: December 15, 2007 06:53AM
I definitely agree with that...
Posted by: woberto [x] - (216.9.247.---)
Date: December 15, 2007 01:31PM
But they were his favourite pants! What about his emotional distress? His pain and suffering?
I heard he lost his job after that one. Surprise surprise.
Date: December 17, 2007 10:36PM
December 18, 2007 - 6:33AM

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has pardoned a teenage girl sentenced to six months in jail and 200 lashes after being gang raped, Al Jazirah newspaper reported today.
Date: February 05, 2008 11:27PM
Here's another one. Ah those wacky muslims!

Strip-searched for meeting man in Starbucks
SMH - February 6, 2008 - 6:19AM

A businesswoman was detained and strip-searched by Saudi Arabia's religious police for sitting in a Starbucks coffee shop with an unrelated man, taboo in the country.

The English-language Arab News quoted a 40-year-old financial consultant, named only as Yara, as saying she was arrested by members of the powerful Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

She said she was holding a business meeting with the man in a branch of Starbucks in Riyadh, in a section reserved for families.

Saudi law requires that unrelated men and women be segregated in public.

Yara said she was taken to a Riyadh prison, strip-searched and forced to sign a confession to having been caught alone with a unrelated man - an illegal act in the kingdom which enforces a strict Islamic moral code.

"I had no other choice," but to sign, said the married mother of three.

"I was scared for my life ... I was afraid that they would abuse me or do something to me."

She said the religious police, known as the Muttawa, released her several hours later after her husband, Hatim, intervened.

"I look at this as if she had been kidnapped by thugs," said Hatim.

The paper said the man with whom Yara had coffee, an unnamed Syrian financial analyst, was also arrested and remains in custody.

Saudi Arabia's 5000-strong religious police have recently been investigated over a number of deaths that occurred while they raided homes or kept people in custody.

The interior ministry issued a decree in May 2006 aimed at reining in the Muttawa by requiring them not to interrogate detained suspects, as they had previously done, but to hand them over to the regular police instead.

A United Nations report released on Friday said women in Saudi Arabia are the victims of systematic and pervasive discrimination across all aspects of social life.

The UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women urged the government to take concrete steps to enforce gender equality and end violence against women.

Yara's arrest was reported as the United Nations special rapporteur on violence against women, Yakin Erturk, began a visit to Saudi Arabia at the government's invitation.

Meanwhile, a Saudi princess said on Tuesday she was offering prizes and scholarships worth $US270,000 (A300,000) a year to boost female journalists.

Women in Saudi Arabia, which applies a rigorous doctrine of Islam known as Wahhabism, face a host of constraints, including a ban on driving.

They are forced to cover from head to toe in public, and cannot mix with men other than relatives or travel without written permission from their male guardian.
Date: February 26, 2008 04:02AM
And if you thought Muslims were wacky, check this out from Papua New Guinea.

Woman 'gives birth hanging from tree'

Sydney Morning Herald
February 26, 2008 - 11:26AM

Nolan Yekum and her husband Paul were dragged from their house and hung from a tree by fellow tribesmen who accused them of sorcery after the couple's neighbour suddenly died.

Her husband said men entered their house in the middle of the night with a rope and tied it to their necks, accusing them of sorcery over their neighbour's death.

They were dragged outside and hung from a tree, he said.

Their ordeal occurred in Kilip village near Banz in Western Highlands Province, PNG's newspaper The National reported today.

"We managed to loosen the noose to get our feet on the ground ... we were able to free ourselves.

"My wife, who was about seven months pregnant, delivered the baby while struggling to free herself.

"It was a painful experience for me and her," Yekum said.

He said he pleaded with fellow villagers to wait for his neighbour's post-mortem and he accused local police of failing to act.

The couple vehemently denied practising sorcery.

The woman and her newborn baby girl, her third child, were doing well in Mt Hagen Hospital after two weeks in hiding, the report said.
Date: February 29, 2008 12:34AM
From today's local newspaper:

Motorcycle group ties up, hospitalizes man who tried to rob bar
(Last updated: February 28, 2008 9:22 AM)

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- An armed robber picked the wrong target when he raided an Australian bar where a biker gang was holding a meeting. He ended up hog-tied and in a hospital.

The man and an accomplice, wearing ski masks and waving machetes, stormed into a club in a western Sydney suburb shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday and yelled at patrons to lie down as they tried to rob the cash register, police said today.

About 50 members of the Southern Cross Cruiser Club had just started a club meeting in another room, and the bikers jumped up to intervene.

One robber escaped by leaping over a balcony, while the other tried to flee through a service entrance, the club's president, who identified himself only as "Jester," told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

"We caught him at the fence and crash-tackled him and hog-tied him to the ground and waited for the police to get there," Jester said.

Police confirmed that club patrons had subdued one of the robbers, who was taken to a hospital with minor injuries, but did not give further details. Police captured the other suspect nearby.

Jester said the robbers had walked past the bikers as they entered the bar but apparently failed to notice them, perhaps because the ski masks obscured their vision.

"I don't think he did his homework very well," Jester said of the ringleader. "He picked the wrong night."
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.251.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 05:28AM
i'dve loved to see their faces when the bikers came runnin' in. smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: woberto [x] - (216.9.247.---)
Date: April 12, 2008 10:57PM
What would you do to these men?
[www.smh.com.au]
Date: April 13, 2008 01:45PM
I think they need to get their own acid bath.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: