Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 01:55AM
This forum will be open to general discusions of LINUX and for users of BSD , LINUX , and UNIX
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.140.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:10AM
Sounds like a great idea PLP, but does anyone here 'sides you, shaDEz and I run a linux OS ? Maybe so, just never heard anyone else mention it if so.

smoking smiley
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.123.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 05:32AM
I tried it once...suse linux..
I liked it alot except for when I couldnt get things to work right, like my printer..or trying to figure out how to watch video...
Date: October 23, 2007 05:50AM
Give the new ubuntu a try Pro, the support is MUCH better now for such stuff winking smiley

smoking smiley
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 06:23AM
I am trying to figure out package handling for installation of audio and video codecs.

Additionally I am looking for anyone that is running LCARS interface through KDE or knows anything about LCARS.
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.251.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 02:15PM
star trek
Posted by: quasi [x] - (64.215.250.---)
Date: October 23, 2007 08:54PM
They won't be satisfied 'til they become cyborgs, digger.
Date: October 23, 2007 11:22PM
plp sent me the star trek screen saver (lcars) and it's cool
Date: October 24, 2007 02:29AM
I am a Borg ..... beware the collective tongue sticking out smiley

smoking smiley
Date: October 24, 2007 10:24AM
I know, resistance is futile, yada, yada, yada........
Date: October 24, 2007 12:18PM
"Man alone; born of stone;
Will stamp the dust of time
His hands strike the flame of his soul;
Ties a rope to a tree and hangs the Universe
Until the winds of laughter blows cold.

Fear that rattles in men's ears
And rears it's hideous head
Dread .... Death .... in the wind ....

Man of steel pray and kneel
With fever's blazing torch
Thrust in the face of the night;
Draws a blade if compassion
Kissed by countless Kings
Whose jewelled trumpet words blind his sight.

Walls that no man thought would fall
The altars of the just
Crushed .... Dust .... in the wind ....

No man yields who flies in my ship
DANGER!
Let the bridge computer speak
STRANGER!
LOAD YOUR PROGRAM. I AM YOURSELF.

No computer stands in my way
Only blood can cancel my pain
Guardians of a new clear dawn
Let the maps of war be drawn.

Rejoice! Glory is ours!
Our young men have not died in vain,
Their graves need no flowers
The tapes have recorded their names.

I am all there is
NEGATIVE! PRIMITIVE! LIMITED! I LET YOU LIVE!
But I gave you life
WHAT ELSE COULD YOU DO?
To do what was right
I'M PERFECT! ARE YOU?" Emerson, Lake and Palmer circa 1974

A bit visionariest n'est pas ?

smoking smiley
Date: October 24, 2007 09:28PM
LUDICROUS SPEED!

sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2007 09:29PM by fossil_digger.
Date: October 25, 2007 10:52PM
TOKYO (AP) — NEC Corp. began worldwide sales today of a supercomputer it said will challenge leaders IBM Corp. and Cray Inc.

NEC said its new SX-9 delivers peak processing performance of 839 teraflops. Each teraflop is a trillion calculations per second.

The IBM BlueGene/L at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California is now No. 1 in the latest list of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers with performance measured at 280.6 teraflops.

The top 500 list is published every six months by researchers at the University of Tennessee, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Germany’s University of Mannheim.

It remains unclear where SX-9 will place in that ranking, if at all, because theoretical peak processing speed isn't necessarily reflected in actual use. Computers from Cray and Hewlett-Packard Co. are also high on the list of the fastest machines.

Supercomputers are used for massive calculations in areas such as space science, environmental simulations and meteorology. The SX-9 could be useful for figuring out what is happening to our planet’s climate and environment, for example, NEC said.

A shiny black box about the size of an instant passport photo booth, the SX-9 rents for $26,000 a month.
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2007 07:17PM
So I am running a Linux server now that is running a fedora 8 distro. it has gnome installed on it but I only let it run at level 3 and then I manage it from a winders box using putty.exe.

who has some experience at writing a cron. file? I want it to run yum update -y on tuesdays and saturdays and want it to email me a logfile of the results.

anybody? drinking smiley
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.154.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 04:51AM
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol’ internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about
w-w-dot-w-com, man you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it’s real easy, man.

-Boomhauer
Date: December 13, 2007 06:13AM
place has that on audio, sent it to me. grinning smiley
Posted by: shaDEz [x] - (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2007 03:41PM
Date: December 26, 2007 08:07PM
thanks shaDEz! thats cool
Date: December 29, 2007 03:32AM
supposed to say "some shit on cron jobs

yes, no prob
Date: December 29, 2007 07:28PM
#!bin/bash
yum update -y
Date: December 30, 2007 04:37PM
yes that is marvelous... uhgmmm
but what about emailing the log of the results part of it?
Date: December 31, 2007 07:16AM
cron automaticly sent me a log

from cron daemon

/etc/cron.weekly/yum2.cron:

Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package avahi.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package selinux-policy-targeted.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package selinux-policy-devel.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package selinux-policy.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package avahi-glib.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package avahi-compat-libdns_sd.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.9-2.fc8 set to be updated
---> Package yum-updatesd.noarch 1:0.9-1.fc8 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Updating:
avahi i386 0.6.21-8.fc8 updates 237 k
avahi-compat-libdns_sd i386 0.6.21-8.fc8 updates 25 k
avahi-glib i386 0.6.21-8.fc8 updates 17 k
selinux-policy noarch 3.0.8-72.fc8 updates 402 k
selinux-policy-devel noarch 3.0.8-72.fc8 updates 519 k
selinux-policy-targeted noarch 3.0.8-72.fc8 updates 1.6 M
yum-updatesd noarch 1:0.9-1.fc8 updates 22 k
yum-utils noarch 1.1.9-2.fc8 updates 48 k

Transaction Summary
Install 0 Package(s)
Update 8 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 2.8 M
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction

Updating : avahi ####################### [ 1/16]

Updating : selinux-policy ####################### [ 2/16]

Updating : selinux-policy-targeted ####################### [ 3/16]

Updating : selinux-policy-devel ####################### [ 4/16]

Updating : yum-updatesd ####################### [ 5/16]

Updating : yum-utils ####################### [ 6/16]

Updating : avahi-glib ####################### [ 7/16]

Updating : avahi-compat-libdns_sd ####################### [ 8/16]

Cleanup : avahi ####################### [ 9/16]

Cleanup : selinux-policy-targeted ####################### [10/16]

Cleanup : selinux-policy-devel ####################### [11/16]

Cleanup : selinux-policy ####################### [12/16]

Cleanup : avahi-glib ####################### [13/16]

Cleanup : avahi-compat-libdns_sd ####################### [14/16]

Cleanup : yum-utils ####################### [15/16]

Cleanup : yum-updatesd ####################### [16/16]

Updated: avahi.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 avahi-compat-libdns_sd.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 avahi-glib.i386 0:0.6.21-8.fc8 selinux-policy.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 selinux-policy-devel.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 selinux-policy-targeted.noarch 0:3.0.8-72.fc8 yum-updatesd.noarch 1:0.9-1.fc8 yum-utils.noarch 0:1.1.9-2.fc8
Complete!
Date: December 31, 2007 03:24PM
oh okay
,but what if you had sepperate cron jobs and you wanted the logs to be reported sepperately
or does it already do that by itself as well
(i'm working w/ mush brains over here)
Date: January 01, 2008 10:54AM
I don't know. I wonder as well
Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: January 17, 2008 04:16AM
Do you think microschmuck announces (or invents) these things to get people to buy the latest version?
Sydney Morning Herald
January 17, 2008 - 11:58AM
Hackers exploit security hole in Excel

Microsoft says hackers have found a way to use some older versions of its Excel spreadsheet program to take over control of people's computers.

The software giant said late today it was investigating reports of such attacks, but had not yet determined whether it would patch the hole, or when.

People who open a specially crafted Excel file from an email attachment or visit a compromised website could be inviting hackers to take over their PCs for malicious purposes such as stealing passwords and other personal information, or sending out spam.

Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Service Pack 2, Excel Viewer 2003, Excel 2002, Excel 2000 and Excel 2004 for Mac all contain the security hole.

The software maker said in a statement that users of those programs could protect their computers by using a tool that scanned the files for bad code before opening, called Microsoft Office Isolated Conversion Environment.

The most recent versions of the spreadsheet program, Excel 2007, Excel 2007 SP 1 and Excel 2008 for Mac, were not thought to be affected, Microsoft said.
Date: January 17, 2008 06:35AM
Um I don't know what Microsofts intention are except get your money.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: February 05, 2008 11:28PM
Torvalds pans Apple with 'utter crap' putdown

Nick Miller - February 5, 2008 - 2:27PM

Apple's much-touted new operating system, OS X Leopard, is in some ways worse than Windows Vista, says the founder of the Linux open source project, Linus Torvalds.

Torvalds was in Melbourne last week for the linux.conf.au conference and was invited to pass judgement on OS X versus Windows Vista in a wide-ranging interview.

"I don't think they're equally flawed - I think Leopard is a much better system," he said. "disappointed smileyBut) OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to program for. Their file system is complete and utter crap, which is scary."

He poured scorn on the modern trend to treat a new version or update of an operating system as a cause for major celebration and marketing.

"An operating system should be completely invisible," he said. "To Microsoft and Apple (it is) a way to control the whole environment ... to force people to upgrade their applications and hardware."

As for his own operating system, Linus said the most exciting developments were Linux's improving green credentials, and a push into mobile devices such as the One Laptop per Child project and Asus's new ultra-cheap Eee PC.

The latter, he said, could be a sign that Asian hardware manufacturers were starting to bypass Western commercial operating systems in order to get more control over their products.

"That's the primary area that open source (software like Linux) is useful. Software is really expensive to produce and takes years. If you're a hardware company you can't really afford that, you either have to be controlled from the outside or take a pre-existing software stack that you can make changes to."

Linux would be an obvious choice for anything from full-blown PCs to phones or video players, Torvalds said.

"I think it's one pretty exciting possibility and it's where the market really wants to go," he said. "The hardware in a mobile device now outweighs anything in a desktop 15 years ago - which is where Linux came from. The (Linux) kernel is already being used in things like cell phones, but the problems have been in the UI (user interface)."

He said he finally saw Linux as able to boast genuine green credentials, after years of hard work.

He and fellow programmers modified almost every part of the operating system's core to improve power management. They also enhanced the ability to track down the most power-hungry parts of a hardware and software system.

"Everybody wants to be power-aware," he said. "It's not just that you want to be green - it's eating up your batteries."

Linus also praised Google for its contribution to the development of open source software, after a shaky start in which it had been a "black hole" for talented programmers.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.154.---)
Date: February 07, 2008 05:44AM
The above (lower portions) is an intersting side of Linux, but here's another wicked benefit to the home desktop user.

A buddy of mine had me build him a new system : sweet XFX Mobo/SLi Video card w/512Gb DDR2 on the card, Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.20Ghz processor w/Cooler Master Gemini II cooler and twin 120mm fans, 4Ghz DDR2-800Mhz ram, 2 - 250Gb Maxtor SATA II 3.0Gbs w/16Mb cache HDs, 20X DVDRW, and an internal card reader.

Cool part was, assembled it, fired it up into the BIOS, set it to boot from the Ubuntu CD, spent about 30 minutes installing the OS (<- and XP or Vista takes How Long ?), and then it just fired up every piece of hardware and features and it all "just worked" right outta the gate without having to load a single CD from ANY of the hardware.

And ... it's wickedly FAST smileys with beer

My buddy was an XP user who'd talked of runnin a dual boot system with Ubuntu/XP, but, when he saw Ubuntu runnin just said ... FUCK XP !

Softly in the background I could just hear Queen bangin out "Another One Bites the Dust" smiling bouncing smiley

smoking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2008 05:58AM by Mrkim.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.137.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 02:10PM
My only complaint with Linux is that it gives me enough rope to thoroughly hang myself with ... and enough rights to do so !

IF I was the type to just leave well enough alone I'd make life a lot easier for myself .... but where's the fun in that anyway ?

Just blew up my OS again and I think I may have finally fucked it up well enough to have actually lost a bunch of (no it wasn't backed up!) data this time ..... ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH !

Oh well smiling bouncing smiley

smoking smiley
Date: February 20, 2008 10:31PM
Mr.kim

logon (in terminal) as su - or sudo -s (ubuntu) and copy your home directory to and tar file

next time you install linux create a large partition and label it /home

thisway if you fuxor your OS you dont have to reinstall all your personal shite.

I did this and deleted my Fedora on a machine and installed ubuntu and it remembered everything, no need to even look around for stuff, it was all there

you will really want to save your home dir any way you can
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: