Posted by: Tiw [x] - (82.37.84.---)
Date: December 31, 2005 07:08PM
Is freedom a privilege or a right?
Date: December 31, 2005 07:16PM
By this post I don't mean to suggest that anyone should be the slave of another, just that certain rights and privileges we now take for granted (like voting, national and international travel, etc should be restricted to those who haven't earned those rights. I also don't want anyone to think I am a communist or fascist, etc because I value freedom as highly as I hope you do but I know that it does carry with it some heavy responsibilities that most people don't seem to appreciate.
Posted by: aDCBeast [x] - (82.37.84.---)
Date: January 01, 2006 06:58AM

No american could vote for "freedom should be earned". Hell no one in a 1rst world nation like Australia, Britain, or Canada could vote any other way than "God given right". Our constitutions depend on it.

However ... even if the constitutions didn't specify this

What asshole in his right mind could require "freedom be earned" ? that moves humanity back to the days where might makes right and supports racism.

Oh .. you're the race we don't like this week so your citizen ship has been revoked. Could you imagine this shit in South Africa ? Where every black born in S.A. could have their citizenship revoked because white people that poach on thier land get scared.
Posted by: Anonymous [x] - (82.37.84.---)
Date: January 01, 2006 06:59AM
Freedom is a natural right, inborn of every human. Citizenship, voting rights, and such concomitant privileges bear with them responsibilities. Each is free to accept the responsibilities with the privileges, but one should not be granted without the other.
Note also, there is a difference between freedom, liberty and licence. Too often in the modern era the three concepts are interchanged as if they are identical. That is the root of many problems in current "democratic" societies.
Date: January 01, 2006 08:49AM
I didn't mean to suggest it it would only affect certain races, I was just using it as an idea which would affect every race. This being the case I suspect that the slaves in America valued their freedom after the civil war than 9 out of 10 people who had been born with it naturally.
Date: January 01, 2006 01:04PM
I agree with 149234. Maybe you asked the wrong question, Tiw. Freedom is not the same as rights (such as citizenship, voting, etc.) and rights bring responsibilities, not the least of which is to respect the rights of others. It's too much to expect bigots like DCBeast to understand - they have only yheir own axes to grind.
Posted by: aDCBeast [x] - (82.37.84.---)
Date: January 01, 2006 07:24PM

Anonymous@156223

If you came out with "bigot" from what I said then you obviously haven't learned to read yet.

Tiw

I was pointing out a flaw in the question where one set of people could revoke/give another group freedom. You suggest an inequity from the start.

Your "no" response suggests that some group grants ("GIVEN"winking smiley freedom to another. "Achieving their freedom" is different from having to earn it. Earning something can only be done by the valuation or judgement of one human to another.
Date: January 04, 2006 08:19AM
I regret but think it's not sure. because...

"Freedom or Liberty = Disorder or Chaos"

...Too Many people, especialy young people misunderstanding.
We should be think about "Real freedom" on seriously. And have a duty to talk and teach about "Rael freedom" for them I think.
...Am I idiot?
Date: January 04, 2006 01:07PM
For Beast, a dictionary definition of bigot:
bigot
· n. a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others. (Oxford English Dictionary)

Please note this makes no mention of race, religion or politics.
Posted by: ANDREAS [x] - (82.37.84.---)
Date: January 05, 2006 03:37AM
=Anonymous@234119 posted on January 4, 2006, 8:19 am=
=I regret but think it's not sure. because...=
="Freedom or Liberty = Disorder or Chaos"=

*It's JUST YOU aDCBeast* I think.
I don't think Anonymous@234119 is idiot.
Date: January 20, 2006 09:55PM
I admit I could have worded the question a bit better but I wanted to get people thinking about it and maybe also talking about it (in that order) and then maybe valuing it more than before and then doing their bit to make the world around them a better place for those they come into contact with so that it ripples out to the rest of us smiling smiley
Date: January 21, 2006 10:33AM
Aaah! How altruistic!
Your Name: 
Subject: