Posted by: Tiw [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:24PM
I am assuming that there are a fair amount of Europeans on this site and so I would like to ask if you are for or against the EU and the reasons for your views (constructive only). I think it would be interesting to hear from non-europeans as well.
Posted by: DiscoPants [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 05:17PM
We have to be part of the EU, otherwise we will be talking chinese or yankee doodle within 50 years, safety in numbers and all that.

It is a shame really, no choice is never a great choice, lol.

(UK here btw)
Posted by: Bob [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 06:29PM
I say yes as well, the europhobes who don't want the UK in the EU want all the economic benefits with none of the responsibilties. You can't have it all one way or eventually Europeans countries will start imposing higher tariffs on UK goods thus lowering our economy. I would much rather we were allies with europe than the US. We might save some money on backing up every other US war.
Posted by: Anonymous [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 07:43PM
as long as anyone can get Europe out of the u.s taxpayer's pocket Im all for it.
Date: February 06, 2005 08:05PM
I am 100% against Europe because it is a terrible thing (I mean the EU, not the continent winking smiley)
Posted by: mkcerusky [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 09:43AM
I hope that EU can help us preventing us from having new pseud dictators (like our S.Berluskaiser)or at least will limit their action a little bit! smiling smiley

More seriously, I hope that there wll be more space for the growth of our countries. Moreover, you brits haven't experienced it, ut it is very nice to go around europe without changing currency, thus being also able to compare prices and findout that the only country were you can buy a coffe for a honest price is italy! smiling smiley
Date: February 07, 2005 10:25AM
That is one of the weakest arguments for a single currency that I have heard. How often does the average person travel between countries? Not often enough to warrent a single currency.
Date: February 07, 2005 01:59PM
tiw you forgot two things:
1. nowadays there are also low cost flights
2. many countries are just attached to other countries: for me it is easier to go to France then to go to Rome smiling smiley
However, that was not a serious argument, just an observation of how confortable it is to have a unique currency...
Date: February 07, 2005 08:20PM
I see nothing good at all coming from the EU.
Posted by: GAK67 [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 09:46PM
I live about as far from Europe as you can get, so my comments should be taken lightly on this issue, but we do face similar questions here as well. I think Europe needs the EU for economic reasons. The reduction of trade barriers, the single currency for ease of trade between countries, and the sheer size of the market all mean the EU is beneficial to all countries involved. Where the problems lie is in getting a legal system that works for all countries, and getting a system of government that is fair and equitable, as well as being cost effective and more than just a figurehead.
Posted by: DrOKs [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:38PM
Well said GAK67.Additionally Europe has suffered since the dawn of time from wars.Hey,we re brothers we have no reason to fight.
Btw Turkey must never become a member.NEVER
Date: February 14, 2005 10:09AM
Nah, we have never been brothers...we are just trying to become relatives smiling smiley
Posted by: Bob [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:06PM
Turkey for president
Date: February 17, 2005 06:02PM
The EU is a waste of time and I don't see it lasting. I don't think it will last longer than 20 years.
Posted by: Anonymouse [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:12PM
they said the same about you Tiw and, wait a minute it *did* turn out. Nevermind.
Posted by: geezer [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:18PM
You forgot to put Don't give a fuck on your poll. That's my vote, btw.
Date: February 17, 2005 10:30PM
No-one is perfect winking smiley
Posted by: geezer [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 02:40AM
;P back at ya Tiw!!
Posted by: Labour_Party_Member [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:18PM
I know this is probably going to get a few shout backs but i mean it seriously and not as any weird cult/obsessive shout out...i am from the UK and personaly, i would rather be the 51st state of America than a part of Europe.
And before anyone points it out i do know labour are pro-EU, it doesnt do to be agreeing all the time though does it ;-)
Posted by: Joe49 [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:03AM
the EU is a prelude to the end time,not much you can do to stop it from taking place and it will effect everyone no matter how far you live from europe.Just a matter of how and when,one world gov't,will it happen?
Date: February 22, 2005 12:20AM
As an American ... the idea of the EU scares me. I enjoy the nice happy things that go with being a citizen of hte only remaining true superpower. But in all seriousness being the only superpower is also a bad thing. The idea of being counter balanced by China actually does scare me. I'd rather have Europe (which is where american cultural roots are the deepest)as a nice happy counter balance. I don't think it is good for the world to have the United States be the only dominant force ... it's just good for America. I just wish that if the EU were going to be a nation or federation they would actually do it. I would equate the current EU Constitution more with the failed American Articles of Confederation than the US Constitution. Just a thought.
Posted by: John_Bull [x] - (82.37.82.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:39PM
The EU exists solely for the benefit of the French and Germans; no-one else gets a look-in..... and Tony 'Blur' kids himself he can have some influence. Britain has done very well outside the eurozone: why waste all that now?
Date: March 21, 2005 09:38PM
Our polititians have stolen billions of pounds from us to put in Europe and got precious little in return. We give MUCH more than other countries and get less back which is not fair at all and just holds us back. I would prefer Britain to pull out of the EU completely and concentrate on the commonwealth and that way many more countries around the world can benefit.
Date: March 23, 2005 02:20AM
wrong John_bull just Germany prelude to the 4th reigh,Adolph would be so proud,just look the Germans are getting tuff on immigrants(kinda reminds you of Hitler and the jews when German unemployment was also rampant in 1939)the bible also call for the rise of Germany again in the last days.
Date: March 30, 2005 10:16PM
stussy the EU will give Germany what it wanted during WWII but could not win with bombs & bullets and,and(Drum roll please)Great Britain. Seig Heil stussy.
Date: April 01, 2005 10:47AM
and the latest EU directive? A ban on April 1st being called April Fools' Day because practical jokes are 'too dangerous'.
See [www.thesun.co.uk]
Date: April 07, 2005 02:27PM
I agree. I'm a yank (sorry folks) but in all honesty that is how a lot of folks here feel about NAFTA.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: