Posted by: woberto [x] - (144.136.97.---)
Date: July 28, 2012 12:22PM
But then you miss the IOTWhenever!
Posted by: BlahX3 [x] - (96.39.185.---)
Date: July 28, 2012 01:03PM
True but considering how meaningful THAT is it is no great loss. smiling smiley I'm more concerned about how many BK crowns we're gonna need here.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (144.136.97.---)
Date: July 29, 2012 03:24AM
Glory days...
[plus613.net]
Date: July 29, 2012 05:20AM
Sick fucks.
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.173.---)
Date: July 29, 2012 05:37AM
and they said polls were no fun and didn't get many votes or comments.
Date: July 29, 2012 03:43PM
I like polls. I missed out on that one. I must not be going to the right place to see them or something.
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2012 12:25AM
I don't know what's broken with polls. But add them to the rewrite list and maybe DK will look at it again one day smiling smiley
Date: August 06, 2012 06:51PM
how about a comment of the week as suggested by Blurf
Date: August 06, 2012 09:09PM
You had to go and take that seriously didn't you? Actually that's not a bad idea, but like you said, we can't get IOTW to work. Or rather, we can't get either Pulse or DK to work and judging from Pulse's latest Mars post, neither can his boss.
Date: August 06, 2012 10:31PM
that's not true, they busted a hump i the past few weeks, and i applaud them both. drinking smiley
Date: August 06, 2012 10:57PM
Hahah! Now you're playing my game! You are right and I applauded them already in case you missed (or ignored) it. But a joke sometimes begs to be made in spite of the facts. You of all people here should know that!
Date: August 07, 2012 07:24AM
I was looking seriously at updating the IOTW yesterday while I was watching the Mars stuff. The problem is though, I feel it's unfair to quasi that his great image only gets a couple of weeks when most get months. So I'll do it next week smiling smiley

I already know what it's going to be, but you'll have to wait and see.

Comment of the week.. that'd mean I have to read all the comments. Or we'd need some way to vote for it. Tell you what. If you create a thread with "comment of the week" in it, and all vote for something, I'll put it in the next IOTW update! smiling smiley

The hump was busted. I'm pretty happy with how the new server is running. It's lightning fast most of the time. There's an occasional slowdown but really nothing major, nothing like the old server.

Speaking of which, gotta get the old DB server rebuilt and functioning again, it should be carrying at least some of the image load. Just gotta get DK off his ass and check there's nothing that needs backing up/whatever before I blow it away. I'm sure I'm missing something (DNS springs to mind)
Date: August 07, 2012 03:36PM
I need a new computer, send it to me. I really do need a new computer, seriously. This one is a very old thing. I am fortunate that it still works and that I have been able to keep it running this long.
Date: August 08, 2012 01:31AM
I don't think it'll be very useful to you smiling smiley Aside from the fact it sounds like a jumbo at takeoff when the fans spin up, I don't think a 1RU rackmounted server would be great in the home.

Also I don't think it has VGA out (though it might).

The old DB server is a Sun Fire X4100. The new one is the M2 model of the same server. Old is 2 x dual core Opterons, the new is 2 x quad core Opterons. Old is 8GB RAM, new is 32GB. Old is 4 x 73GB SAS disks, new is 4 x 146GB. Otherwise, aside from some internal architecture changes, faster internal links etc they're much the same. They look identical.

[www.zibiz.com]
Date: August 08, 2012 12:17PM
I am sure you're right. I've worked with a lot of servers so I basically know what you're talking about.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2012 04:32PM
on private messages, I would like to have sent messages saved to file without having to remember to check the box...
Date: August 12, 2012 06:36PM
or maybe a reminder pop up the next time you log in.
Date: August 14, 2012 11:56PM
make all size gifs upload-able to gallery...
Date: August 23, 2012 04:50AM
should probably remove the " the general rule of thumb is "if you wouldn't show your mother this picture, don't upload it"." disclaimer from the pron side
Date: August 23, 2012 11:45AM
Just goes to show how many weirdos we attract smiling smiley
Date: August 23, 2012 02:16PM
Yeah, for all we know their mothers told them to post it.
Date: August 24, 2012 11:03PM
a choice of backgrounds for the pages would be cool, like the plus613 logo behind the main content box that you really can't see. maybe changed off of your home page?
Posted by: woberto [x] - (144.136.96.---)
Date: August 26, 2012 02:19AM
OK pulse, here's a serious one for consideration.
The ability to cycle through the page-sized images is a must.
Currently we can only do it by opening the oldest image we have seen and then voting on it to progress towards the newest images. If you could see "images since last login" that might be OK but only useful to a handfull of regular users.
Therefore we need to be able to click on the very latest image and then have a forward or back arrow.
Go to funnyjunk and click on an image.
Here they vote only two options, funny or junk. Plus613 with 5 star rating is better I think.
You can vote and move to the next image or just move to the next image without voting.
When you start seeing images you recognise from last week you know you've gone far enough.
Note that on tall images the voting widget follows you down the page so you don't have to scroll back up to vote.
Plagiarism baby!
Posted by: DarkKlown [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2012 06:47AM
Was a lot of talk on the direction of voting having a option to skip forward/back images without a vote would basically mean that nobody would cast a vote, and the purpose of the site for me is stats! The more people vote and the more stats i can create the happier I become. Anything that allows you to browse the site without submitting some kinda stat isn't something i'm going to add.

I would like to have some kinda highlight or a 'show me the last image i saw' type deal. Maybe I could add a special image number that will redirect you to the last image you looked at. IE how 1 gives you a random image type deal.

The message bubbles overlayed on thumbs was really meant to address images that have new comments since you last looked as I personally think that just because you've viewed a image sometimes it's worth looking back later for comment updates, rather than focusing on just 'new content'.

I know pulse hates the direction of the gallery and wants it reversed. (So if you know the image you like is on gallery page 500 it's always on 500). Maybe this could be changed in the rewrite and a flag added to account which keeps you on the gallery you last looked at.
Date: August 27, 2012 09:24AM
OK, then my official suggestion is;
The ability to vote and go forward and the option to vote and go backwards.
Graphically speaking, voting stars could run vertically on both sides of the image.
Voting with a left side star takes you forward in time.
Voting with a right side star takes you backwards in time.
Date: August 28, 2012 12:20AM
Voting should be like commenting and not do anything about going forward or backwards. As a matter of fact the present state of voting moving me on to another image that I did not choose to view is a deterrent and makes me not want to vote at all. It defeats my choosing what to view and it logs it as a viewed statistic that I did not wish to contribute to.
Date: August 28, 2012 01:56AM
^^^ what blah said
Date: August 28, 2012 04:53AM
I kinda agree that voting shouldn't move you forwards or backwards. As DK said originally it was an incentive for people to vote, to continue through the gallery - but one of the things that's become apparent over the years is people just don't bother voting smiling smiley

I wouldn't be unhappy about voting leaving you on your current image, and having a skip forward/backwards image selector instead... but can anybody suggest something that encourages people to actively vote?

One of the fundamentals of the site is that we want to give each image a rating out of 5... how do we encourage people to actually help us do this?
Date: August 28, 2012 05:52AM
share your goat with people that vote Dancing Green Banana!
Date: August 28, 2012 10:57AM
Well DK, being a stat' man, wouldn't appreciate unintended image-views.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: