Changes.. better or worse?

Posted by: DarkKlown [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2011 06:08AM
Hey all,

I got bored and sick of looking at a 1993 website.. with my awesome html skills (*cough*) i've made some alterations.. for the better or worse?
Posted by: Onyma [x] - (99.243.111.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 06:27AM
More pictures gets a little visually confusing to me, found it harder to scan a page.

I'd throw a cursor:pointer style on the images class so you know they are clickable.

Drop shadows and rounded corners are nice touches for the browsers that support them. Typically I drop shadow with Black (or something darn close) to prevent that "gray glow" effect you get with grays when they go over something in the background. A black will give more of a true shadow effect.

Miss the red focus rectangle as I mouse-over images. Might consider bringing something like that back, even do a transparency fade out on the :hover version of the class to give a quick and easy selected effect.

Just my 2c on a quick browse smiling smiley

If the entire site is CSS based I would love to play with some themes for it sometime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 06:30AM by Onyma.
Date: August 09, 2011 06:36AM
Fun to sit here and keep hitting reload and watch you play with the layout smiling smiley
Posted by: woberto [x] - (120.21.29.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 06:38AM
Careful dude, this might constitute "work" and that's really not your style.
clown
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2011 06:47AM
It's so plus613, mixing it up like it's 1997.

But the best is yet to come! I won't say what it is though. I'll leave you guessing.
Date: August 09, 2011 06:50AM
onyma: i like to think of myself as a technical coder.. when it comes to css/html it's all smashed together.. the site originally was purely tables.. then some css crept in.. now it's mix of both.. it is all skinned in smarty so re skinning the entire thing shouldn't be THAT difficult..

most of what you've suggested went over my head.. but i'll look and see if i can implement the changes.. feel free to post some code if you want to change some css files.. winking smiley
Date: August 09, 2011 06:55AM
Also, as you can tell, we've provisioned suitable development/tests/staging/preproduction systems so all changes go through rigorous testing schedule before they go live on the site.

We would never make changes to a running system without a maintenance window and signed off test schedule. I don't know what you're suggesting onyma.
Date: August 09, 2011 07:05AM
Haha.. we don't even have a RCS in place anymore.. onyma: checkout the galley now.. it's all zoomy and stuff..
Date: August 09, 2011 07:07AM
lol on the test environment. S'ok, I throw changes up on production systems when I think no one is looking too and considering that it's 3am here in Canada I'll assume you were doing the same. I'll ignore you're on the other side of the planet smiling smiley

If I get a chance maybe tomorrow I'll rip the HTML of a page or two down to my server and fiddle with some CSS ideas for you. Really liking the 2x mouse-over pop-up thing happening on the site right now.
Date: August 09, 2011 07:13AM
Here's the cursor one I was mentioning. I notice the preview images have a class name of "preview", add this to that class (just the bold part):

.preview { ....... cursor:pointer; }

That will turn the mouse cursor into a pointing finger when you move over an image. Since (from what I see commented out) you have changed from using <a> elements to <li> elements you have lost the mouse pointer change that says "Hey, you can click here"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 07:15AM by Onyma.
Date: August 09, 2011 07:48AM
Ok i got the comments overlaying but i need to resize the image and it's hometime.. i'll fix up tmr..

see the work ethic i have!
Date: August 09, 2011 08:07AM
I'll fix it tonight sometime if I get time.

You suck smiling smiley
Date: August 09, 2011 10:31AM
Okay, fixed the comment graphic & put a new logo on the site

shift-refresh if you can't see either/things look funny, probably best to shift-refresh while looking at the gallery to make sure everything is reloaded and fresh
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.188.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 11:12AM
looking for the wombat skin cap......
Date: August 09, 2011 03:02PM
I took a few minutes this morning and played with the CSS on a capture of the front page. Nothing ground breaking here but just a general clean up (fonts, spacing, colours, input fields, shadows, padding, etc.) Feel free to view the CSS file and use whatever. Wasn't a lot I could do quickly as a lot of items don't have their own classes so I couldn't control them but it's a start. Didn't make any changes to the core HTML.

[www.onyma.com]

I will play with it a lot more tonight.

Edit: I was using Firefox when I made the changes this morning, haven't checked it in other browsers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 03:05PM by Onyma.
Date: August 09, 2011 03:26PM
checkout plus613.net/page/terms2

i'm gonna give a shot at converting the entire site to use pure css.. if you want to build some css files use that as a basis.. i'll be converting the rest of the site over the next few days..

then i want to start looking at some skinning to give different looks.. being able to easily throw on a xmas feel would be rather useful for example..
Date: August 09, 2011 04:41PM
Excellent! I will play with that page over the next couple days.
Date: August 09, 2011 09:28PM
why do all the thumbs show up double? i thought i was going cross eyed or some shit. (*facepalm*)eye popping smiley(*facepalm*)
Date: August 09, 2011 11:01PM
Did you shift-refresh on the gallery? What browser are you using?
Date: August 10, 2011 12:28AM
fossil: we've updated the css files on the site and your browser has no doubt cached the old one. Flush you browser cache (shift-reload doesn't seem to work that well nowadays i've found), reload the browser and try again. Should sort it out for you.
Date: August 10, 2011 12:37AM
using firefox, but when i just came back it seemed to be fixed / pics packed together. looks cool.
Date: August 10, 2011 12:38AM
oh hey look, the mouse over deal is cool 2. (*binladen*)
Posted by: GAK67 [x] - (118.93.227.---)
Date: August 10, 2011 07:13AM
Just a little complaint - I used to use the new comments graphic to go directly to the comments from the gallery, but now that the thumbs "pop up" when you mouse over them you lose that option.

The site definitely looks better though, in my opinion.
Date: August 10, 2011 01:24PM
Neat, didn't know you could do that smiling smiley
Date: August 10, 2011 03:00PM
Lots stuff in this world you don't know about pulse..

GAK: not a easy feature to add back in due to the hack that i'm using to do the overlay at the moment.. i'll keep it in mind to add the feature back tho..
Date: August 10, 2011 10:17PM
smiling bouncing smiley tease smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2011 06:06PM
I will play with it a lot more tonight. ...heh heh I just bet you will...lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue outhandjobspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2011 07:28PM
also, aside from the logo, I like the changes I've seen so far thumbs downthumbs down... it's human nature to resist change, being aware of that I try to keep myself open-minded and try to find the positive side of changes as they occur and adjust accordingly. but for some reason, I like logos to stay the same...street names too.

Dancing Green Banana!umm...my banana aint dancin..Dancing Green Banana!
Date: August 11, 2011 09:49PM
the mouse over deal is cool, but might affect the number of image views in the negative....just maybe.
Date: August 11, 2011 10:05PM
Which is a concern we had too. I guess though, the thumb is square so doesn't show everything in the image (it crops it), and also it just blows it up, doesn't show a high quality version when it pops up.. so there's still incentive to look at the actual image.

pro: I've been thinking of making, say, 10 logos, and having them alternate each page view. That'll piss you off! grinning smiley
Your Name: 
Subject: