Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.176.---)
Date: April 29, 2007 02:02AM
Today I switched my OS to the newest version of Ubuntu and as a part of the package it came with Firefox latest 2.0 loaded so I figured what the hell.

Anyway, I can now only log in from the Forum page ! I've tried numerous times to log in on the Gallery page and when I input my log in and password & hit enter it throws me to the forum page, but still shows me as logged out !

From the Forum page I can click on the log in icon and enter my info and badda boom badda bang ..... I'm logged in and can now go back to the Gallery and remain logged in eye popping smiley

Any ideas ? And hell yeah I came in through the .net, not the .com door before anyone asks tongue sticking out smiley
Date: April 29, 2007 03:11AM
Another thing I noticed a while back but never mentioned is that in my Private Messages settings the Sent messages folder shows empty although I have sent a few assureadely. Any Ideas on this boggle either ??

smoking smiley
Posted by: shaDEz [x] - (24.126.136.---)
Date: April 29, 2007 07:02AM
shit dude, i don't think i'll be upgrading to fiesty (still not happy w/ edgy release) i'm prolly gonna downgrade back to dapper actually... either that or install zod (fedora core 6) since i got a dvd installer for it
i've heard alot of problems with this release in the community and there is no need to upgrade from dapper, shit is beautiful lts and erything just works... almost like a friggin' linspire system
don't really see why it would screw w/ the settings here though, especially if you kept your profile ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/* (i always keep a copy of that myself on a usb flash drive and can keep my firefox settings, cookies, passwords... etc, when i work on any machine ;]) which should be the case if you did an upgrade
and as for your sent folder i think you have to specify if you want to keep a copy in it when you send a message
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (67.168.213.---)
Date: April 29, 2007 07:12AM
yes, you have to check the box next to Keep A Copy In My Sent Items...which I invariably forget to do and wish that it would just happen anyway...hint hint DK...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Date: April 29, 2007 02:48PM
So far I haven't found any serious issues with the new distro though admittedly I really only have a few hours under my belt with it, so ...

I installed it as a dual boot onto a secondary HD in my system so there's no harm no foul if it turns out to be wonko. If it dudn work out I'll just reformat the drive and be done with it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I decided to try out 7.04 to see if some of the plug n play stuff they are claimin would be helpful for me but haven't gotten that deep into it yet. All I've really done so far is to add k3b and amarok & a bunch of support programs for them.

I'm also intrigued by the eye candy appeal of Beryl which can be added on to 7.04 but will problee wait til I build a new core duo box before I'd even try that anyway. I think my lil 1.0 gig processor system has finally taken me about as far as I can go with it and after 5 yrs, it's time to put together a new toy to play with smileys with beer

I'm on here now from my 6.06 OS which uses Firefox 1.5.0 and had no such problems logging in but I wonder if it's some change Mozilla made when they put out 2.0 that is causing the log in problem ?

I'll have to take a look at my PM settings next time I use it and select for it to save a copy to the sent file.

Thanks for the input guys !

smoking smiley
Posted by: Tribucian [x] - (65.4.199.---)
Date: May 01, 2007 01:58AM
I use firefox and have exactly the oppisite problem, can only log in from the gallery page and not the forum
Posted by: DarkKlown [x] - (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2007 04:04AM
As stated before. Make sure you using [www.plus613.net] and not .com! Also clear all cookies, then shift-reload a page on the site a few times. Then try and login.

The site needs to set a temporary cookie when you first come, to know if it's able to set cookies in the first place. Then once you return the cookie it'll give you a login box and you should then be able to login successfully (making sure you accept the 2nd cookie of course). If for whatever reason you don't accept cookies you wont be able to use this site (as a registered user without problems). The cookies aren't used to track your usage of the site (first one is generic, second just holds your login auth key).

We're still in limbo land between using the old auth system and the new one. I need to spend a weekend and delete alot of old code, however as it stands i'm not aware of any server problems when it comes to authentication.
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2007 09:08AM
I upgraded from Edgy to Feisty on my fileserver, and it's completely fucked. I did it via apt's dist-upgrade option.. hardware drivers weren't working properly, loads of shit failed, I've kept that stuff running but I'm back to running Edgy's kernel because I cbf'd fixing it.. and now I've had a HD fail in the fileserver too (not blaming feisty for that, unless its dodgy hardware drivers which were causing loads of IO errors that are to blame)

Anyway.. yeah. Probably go back to running Debian or RHEL AS4 or AS5 on it or something.

Anyway, as for the issues.. yeah as DK said we're stuck half way between two different systems (one developed by us, one hacked by us) and things mostly work*

* No warranty either expressed or implied
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.159.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 02:20PM
DK, : I'm definitely hip to the .net vibe and just took a look at my cookies and show one for 613plus.net so I'm unsure where the rub is confused smiley

Pulse : I've come across a few other issues with 7.04 and am near to just fdisk-ing the drive I installed it on any sayin fuck it ! But .... since it's just a secondary OS I may just leave it alone and see if any updates come down the pike to settle out some of its problems.

My audio isn't workin, says there's no ALSA plug in installed (though there is !), The only video player that seems to 1/2 way work is Noatun though I also installed Gxine and Mplayer for back ups it says the input codecs are missing to use 'em.

Since I only boot into 7.04 to play around with it, very little of this really matters anyway, but of course it would be great if some of this stuff worked tongue sticking out smiley It seems like at this point 6.06 must be the most stable of the Ubuntu releases so far, Hi Ho.

This morning I came across a waaaaay more disturbing revelation with my 6.06 OS though. When I clicked on my System->Administration tab I found most of my controls are suddenly missing including the Synaptic Packages Manager ! This is really scary since it won't even let me do any further updates/upgrades to my software on my Dapper Drake OS !

This past weekend I deleted a cuppla user profiles & dunno but I guess I musta fubarred somethin pretty good somewhere along the line eye popping smiley
Date: May 02, 2007 06:14PM
mine w/ edgy is mplayer won't play any *.avi
i even tried installing from source
i can't use my printer either w/ edgy (piece of shit printer lexmark z705)
there is a red hat driver for the 600's and i could use it on dapper with some minor tweakage...
mr.K, try right click on the "system" and choose "edit menues" and in there choose "system"... see if any of those missing controls are merely un-checked, then re-check them... it's just a shot in the dark, but worth a trie
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (12.74.229.---)
Date: May 03, 2007 01:36PM
Thanks for the input shaDEz & I'll give that a try when I get home this evenin. My power at the casa went out about 8pm last night (wicked Tstorms w/90-100mph winds!) & is still off as of 8am this mornin so there was no surfin at the ol homestead last night !!

I talked to my best geek buddy last night (just before the lights went out!) about all this & he told me I need to create a new repository for my 7.04 OS and DL the mp3 and video codecs into it from the web & then install 'em through the new repository into the OS.

He was all stoked because he had DLed 7.04 and burned a disc yesterdee mornin then headed into a meeting where he installed it onto his kick ass Ferarri laptop, set up Evolution & DLed his corporate email, then SSHed into his main Linux server at his desk over their inhouse wireless network and was workin on project files all while sittin in the meeting grinning smiley

The Linux server box he has at his desk (one of 6 different systems he has in his cube) is a quad-quad core with 8gigs of DDR2 ram and a terrabite HD with all kinds of other goodies (a $20k total system!) he assembled for a recent show in Vegas where the company he works for was debuting their own DVD HD system for the movie industry.

This is the same cat that turned me on to Linux in the 1st place & I really miss havin him sit down at my keeboard and work his mojo on my system. Since he moved to NJ that's a bit harder to get done. Now we hafta each fire up a jay at each end before gettin started instead of just passin it grinning smiley

smoking smiley
Date: May 03, 2007 04:31PM
wow! that is a nice server he has
all i have on my server is 64 mb ram and p2 processor w/ redhat 8 on it lol
usually it is just a matter of changing all instances of old release to new release in /etc/apt/sources.list but he prolly has some better specific repos in mind for ya
Posted by: quasi [x] - (64.215.250.---)
Date: May 03, 2007 09:19PM
I like you guys but your tendency towards computer geekiness frightens me a bit.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.177.---)
Date: May 03, 2007 11:55PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence quasi ..... I think smiling bouncing smiley

Sorry for all the geek speak buddy, but afterall this is about a computer related issue. I know, I know, the subject dudn relate that but the ist post is kinda a dead give away grinning smiley

And ..... if you're gonna run a Linux OS you either already know at least a few things, or you're gonna either get to learnin some or tear your ass back to a Winblows OS. The reversion to Microslush ain't a happenin thing for me so I had to learn a few things at least, just to get by in Linux. The learnin curve can be pretty steep, but I highly recommend it compared to runnin Windows eye rolling smiley

smoking smiley
Date: May 04, 2007 12:37AM
it gettin' easier and easier though
i think even quasi could handle running some distros hahaha juss fuckin' w/ ya Q-man
i got my sis on to it though(ubuntu), and she dumb as hell
so no, you don't have to be a geek to run linux anymore (hell i'm certainly not one, i juss play one on t- i mean, the web)... but it is good to know one... that is why there is the community forums and irc - eryone helps out eryone and eryone develops the os... not based on how much money someone has, but rather how curious one is, how inventive... and thus real progress and innovations are made...
gee, kinda be nice if all of society worked like that... hmmmmm...
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.177.---)
Date: May 04, 2007 01:16AM
True, true man and just think .... if Linux had the $$ behind it that Microslush does .... Bills boys would all be on street corners with cups before long spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I've said for a while now that if I can run a Linux OS so can anyone else who wants to. It's a bit different than a Windows OS, but I never had all that much bad Windows training before I switched over to Linux, so I just learned Linux instead tongue sticking out smiley
Date: May 04, 2007 02:23AM
I'm just a bit technophobic. I can really appreciate where this and other technologies have brought the human race but, to me, the more complicated and specialized a technology becomes so too does it become more fragile and likely to fail. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid. I also tend to be a jack off of all trades and master of none - too much goin' on to spend a lot of time on any one thing.

You get your power back on at the casa, Kim? Went without power for a couple weeks here after Charley, and that gets old fast but is just a hint of how fragile our technology really is. I was just happy to have a house that was livable after that one, lot's of my friends and neighbors didn't. Got me wondering if it doesn't make better sense to live in a cave with a fire for light and cooking - we're not that far removed from the cavemen, you know. I wonder what penguin wings taste like. Bill Gates probably wonders, too.
Date: May 04, 2007 02:37PM
hahaha...
'swhy we need to put all of our wires underground...
of course the minute after we finish rewiring erything there will be an earthquake
there is no reason to be a technophobe, but you should be prepared to do w/out it as well
my electricity here tends to fail me either when it is 1000 degrees or when it is -1000 degrees, really sux to be indoors... that's when i go back to my primitive roots, get in touch w/ nature
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.254.---)
Date: May 04, 2007 05:45PM
smiling bouncing smiley the jokes are comin' too fast to single 1 out!smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (12.74.222.---)
Date: May 04, 2007 06:51PM
Good points quasi, but havin always been excited by new technologies I'm kinda moved in the other direction.

As for thoughts on KISS, I tend to agree there as well and another reason I chose Linux over Windows. Linux chooses to use the KISS method in NOT running 40,000,000 unused background processes when all you're tryin to do is read your email.

To my way of thinkin Windows overcomplicates things unnecessarily by comparison and all in the name of making things more user friendly. Linux by comparison only performs the tasks asked of it, but in doing so requires the user to learn a few things at times.

I bet you're dead nutz right about Bill wonderin what penguin wings taste like grinning smiley

shaDEz, I tried your suggestion and found all the missing subcats in the Administator tab already checked, so I unchecked them & rechecked the boxes but they are still missing when clickin the Admin tab again.

When I went in through the start button side and accessed it that way it tells me I don't have permission to access the Synaptic Pkgs Mgr. Any idea where I need to go to reset my permissions?

In my 7.04 I DLed the necessary mp3, ogg and other audio files stuff to get amarok workin & it's an awesome player ! Now I have to get to work on gettin the video codecs sorted out which will just take a bit more diggin ... Hi Ho drinking smiley

smoking smiley
Date: May 04, 2007 10:09PM
shit... can you logon as root? if you can you can edit sudoers with visudo and put your user name under...
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

eg
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
MrKim ALL=(ALL) ALL

and save it
if you can't switch to root or even know the passwd you will have to boot in single mode and do visudo
look up recovering root password in the ubuntu forums for more detailed instructs
Posted by: Anonymous [x] - (193.200.150.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 04:14AM
Doesn't it concern anyone else there is a guy posting call Kim

Only chicks are called Kim

Did he have a sex change
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.222.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 04:28AM
from an anonymous coward...no surprise there...
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: October 18, 2007 06:46PM
Doesn't bother me any. I have friends that are Korean and Kim is a popular name. who cares what the name is. Really there are better things to discriminate besides some persons psuedonym. Don't you think Anonymous? Anonymous sounds like a cowards name. Doesn't it concern anyone else there is a guy posting call anonymous?!!! Only Cowards are called Anonymous.
Date: October 18, 2007 10:28PM
Because he uses his real name in a world with so many idiots like you, anonymous, I think he's got a far bigger set of balls than you do.

My real name is Paul. By your logic does that make me a saint or a pope?

I've seen a guy in the local newspaper whose name is Doodles. That's his legal name. Does that mean he draws a lot?

Who pissed in your Wheaties today, anyway? There might be a few people who regularly post here but everyone's welcome, and, just as in any community, people come and go. Best thing about this community is that, just as it claims, it's one of the last truly free places around with only a few very basic rules to follow and where freedom of speech and expression are paramount. So say what you want just don't ever be surprised by replies you get.
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (166.129.248.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 03:43AM
I used to work with a guy named Cheryl...he and I made these...he is not gay...I'm not either...
Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 04:49AM
What was that Johnny Cash song...
Date: October 19, 2007 09:26AM
Boy named Sue.
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 07:38PM
There is also a muscle car builder named Carol Shelby who has made machines for Ford and Dodge
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.251.---)
Date: October 19, 2007 11:31PM
and there's Geraldine...and it's really Flip Wilson
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: