What is digg.com & stumbleupon.com ???

Posted by: woberto [x] - (58.111.4.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:57AM
What is digg.com & stumbleupon.com ???
I don't click those things.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (71.96.147.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 03:12AM
Yeah, I was wonderin the same thing when I saw it on the image pages & eventhough Ubuntu keeps me safe from most stuff I waddn about to click on it just for the hell of it.

What is this .... Pulse, DK, shaDEz .... anyone smiling bouncing smiley

smoking smiley
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (67.168.213.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:52AM
stumble upon is pretty cool...you sign up and enter some of your interests, then when you click on it , it will take you to a random web page that fits with the categories you selected for interests...just try it, you'll see..
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (67.168.213.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:54AM
Posted by: DarkKlown [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2007 05:18AM
Just trying to get some more traffic to the site. Personally I use both stumbleupon and digg regularly. So I thought I'd make it easier for users of these services to add our urls for listing.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (58.111.4.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 06:24AM
About time you started treating this site with some professionalism!
Ahem.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (67.171.146.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 01:57PM
Stubleupon is a great way to get any version of Microsoft iExplorer to crash repeatedly, even on startup and stut down. actually my favorite is when it half draws the window and then hangs permenately. Not even ctrl alt del can save you from it. "Stubleupon and crash land" should be writen as a surgeon generals warning on the label. :Will cause viruses and shockwave/flash errors at random intervals and impare your ability to operate you computer machinery. thumbs up
Date: August 13, 2007 04:02PM
Your real problems isn't stumbleupon. It's IE. Quick find a solution here. [en.www.mozilla.com]
Date: August 13, 2007 05:57PM
I have that one too, LOL thanks though. smiling smiley
Posted by: shaDEz [x] - (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2007 07:19PM
lol, dumbass... then use it! sheesh
fuck ie users!
Date: August 13, 2007 09:01PM
yer not my type shaDEz, but thanks anyway....
Date: August 15, 2007 07:39AM
Muahahaha .... silly winblows users and their bug riddled IE. Always good for a laugh though smileys with beer

Power to the penguin baby thumbs down

Hey PLP ever used opera ? I like it even bettern firefox smileys with beer

smoking smiley
Date: August 15, 2007 08:21AM
opera is a piece of.. it's nice for the first few seconds of use but it gets old quick.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (58.111.1.---)
Date: August 15, 2007 09:31AM
I've got a version of Safari for windows and it is very slick.
Date: August 15, 2007 01:52PM
Opera looked promising, but its not to stable of a program. Firefox actually has come a long way in that line. and then of course MS has to play catchup. On my linux boxes that are above "telinit 3" i run firefox as it is the only browser that works. I found an old version of IE6 that someone hacked to run in wine, but it was even more stupid than running ie 5 on a winDOS 98 machine. so in short, I use what works best for the OS i am running. When I upgrade my hardware to a true dual proc, I will be running Mac os X with a hacked kernal I found. I can run it in emulation, but it is really fornicating slow.
Date: August 15, 2007 02:18PM
I dunno guys, but I've been runnin opera for a cuppla months now and really like it. It "seems" as if it operates a lil faster than the firefox 2.0.0.05 I have as a back-up and is nice and stable on my box even with like 10 or more tabs opened up.

BTW PLP when you get the dual proc ... you'll love it, or at least I know I'm lovin mine .. woohooo! Gotten to the "shopping stage" and have some new hardware picked out for your upgrade yet?

smoking smiley
Date: August 15, 2007 08:47PM
No. not really. I tend to skip generations for what ever reason. I skipped the whole Pentium II/ AMD K6 / death to cirux chip phase and waited till pIII were at 133 bus before I bought into new hardware. I am however incredibly tempted to go Machintosh this next time and see if I can run an emulation of BSD.
Date: August 16, 2007 04:30AM
I hear lots of comments from both sides of the Mac vs. PC wars and seemingly the nay sayers about Macs seem to be people with PCs just talkin trash without any real Mac experience to relate to thumbs up

I guess the things that keep me interested in PCs and linux is the security and the myriad of software available. Hell these days with a decent wine many microsoft apps can be forced upon a linux machine without too much trouble, which wasn't quite as easlily accomplished when I 1st started runnin a Linspire OS a cuppla years back.

My biggest wishes are that more of my OSs GUI functions worked as well as the command line side of things. Being one much more comfortable with GUI prompts that shit often just leaves me scratchin my head and sittin there like a deer in the headlights with a huge invisible question mark danglin just over my head when I have to open up a console window eye popping smiley

smoking smiley
Date: August 16, 2007 05:43AM
I had a huge love for Mac hardware a few years back but now that you no longer have any Mac hardware (it's all x86 based nowadays) the only difference between a Mac and a PC, in my mind, is the price tag.

I'm told that the resell of a Mac is what attracts most people nowadays to going down that path but personally i'm not one to resell computer hardware, so I doubt i'll be buying any Mac hardware soon.

As for the war that goes on between OSX/Windows/Linux users I still count it as a childish bashing, 'my god is better than your god'. The idea that one OS is better than another is a load of crap. OS's are designed for a certain purpose. And as a user of the OS you should be asking 'What do i need this computer to do? and what does the best job at it?'. Personally I use windows at home because I just use my home computer to play games/movies/web browse and Windows is well suited for that. At work however I run Linux because i do alot of networking/coding/'complex' text editing (taking database output and sticking it into config files for applications to feed from etc).

Trying to get a OS to do something it was never intended for just creates bloat and the original purpose of the OS is affected by this. The push to get games and home users using Linux in my mind detracts from the original purpose of Linux (which was an alternative to expensive 'server' OS's - like HPUX/Solaris/AIX etc). Also trying to get Windows to be a server also detracts from it's original purpose which was a simple OS for the adverage person to be able to use.

/rant
Date: August 16, 2007 12:26PM
Opinion noted and rant well considered DK. Since I'm sure you're one waaaaay more in tune with the computing realm that I am, I always appreciate thoughts from that side of the table.

With that said, here's a (personal) perspective on the upswing of linux desktop systems in recent times for the home user market.

I had grown tired of near daily system lock ups, continual virus software updates required and the lack of overall system security on my machine and a good friend who, like yourself, is a member of the IT community recommended a switch from the XP I had to Lindows as a reasonable choice to address these issues.

Since having switched to linux I have been rewarded with higher system operating speeds, never have to sweat viral updates/infections and have admittedly along the way (by necessity !) learned quite a bit about how my system works. All these things I feel are absolute positives with the only real negative in all of it coming from my own lack of knowledge at times in being able to get certain things done.

Linux and Mac systems have both forged inroads into the home user market that has seemingly eroded a certain amount of Microsofts near monopoly of this market and in doing so encourages competition within the industry. This all in all works to the benefit of us all as home users as each OS is constantly driven to make more attractive improvements and each more user friendly in attempts to sway the various market segments to use "their" products thumbs down

smoking smiley
Date: August 16, 2007 11:39PM
I guess the major difference with me and most windows users is i refuse to run anti-viral software/firewall/the other 30 things most XP users seem to have running on startup.

To stop myself getting infected with viruses i just take some simple procedures, I don't use IE, i don't download random bits of software to 'try them out'. Either i need something on my computer or I don't. Having 50 things installed in my mind just slows everything down. And if my computer does start acting funny I'm always happy to just accept windows is a piece of.. and reinstall (you can get/make some very funky slipstreamed CD's nowadays that will install XP and all your useful apps without much 'next pressing'). In all my life using windows i've only been infected by a virus 2x. The first was from some actual retail software that i brought. The 2nd time i actully infected myself while reading up on how different virus codes works etc ('gee what happens if i just run this program').

I started using linux upon the release of windows 95 (i think i got my hands on a beta or something). When i ran it i thought straight away 'this is garbage, if this is the way the public is moving forward i want something else'. Upon installing linux I would of simply given up (this is back in the days when the best distro was slackware which meant you basically had to compile EVERYTHING yourself by hand and most stuff didn't just compile out of the tgz) had i not fallen in love with bash so quickly - another reason i find it strange new linux users stick with it, they only use the GUI.

Nowadays I find that if you keep drivers updated, buy decent hardware and don't bloat the registery with 1000 and one applications XP is pretty stable. I wouldn't try and figure out a cure of cancer on a XP box but like i've said it plays games and lets me watch videos/browse this site just fine.

All that said if your switching to Linux to educate yourself I'm all for it. I have seen linux enthusiasts push new computer users into using linux, and then seeing these people really struggle because they dont have the time/interest to learn all the things you need to when using linux. One thing mrkim i really will again push you into learning is some basic shell, as said it's the real bread and butter of a unix system.
Posted by: SkullandChains [x] - (207.32.60.---)
Date: August 17, 2007 06:59AM
BUUUUUURP
Date: August 17, 2007 12:52PM
DK a big thanks for the insights and anecdotes smileys with beer

I'm quite sure XP is fine for a lot of folks and that if used in a safe and sane way can be exactly what's needed for most people without the learning curve a linux OS by its nature will require.

For myself, being the typical mercurial geminian filled with an unending supply of curiosity and never seeming to leave well enough alone, I like to poke and prod at things that I problee shouldn't. So .... I'm one like you mentioned who is likely to try out any kinda software bauble that catches my fancy at the moment smiling bouncing smiley

Luckily for me I now use an OS that allows me to experiment with pretty much anything and not have to suffer too much from these experimentations. When I was runnin XP that same level of experimentation seemed to generate lots of problems that are no longer stumbling blocks while nestled safely within the confines of ubuntu as I am today,

My buddy who initially talked me in to runnin a linux OS is a great friend and has always been a big help when I wind up needing his expertise. When we initially installed Linspire on my machine about 4yrs ago I would just about swear he was sportin wood as he prepped my machine for the install and got to the point where he hit the delete key to totally remove XP from my machine grinning smiley

To say he's a big fan of the opensource area of the software world would be a major understatement, which on the surface seems somewhat inconguous as he himself is a software engineer/program manager for a large multinational software consortium for his daily bread.

Looking back, though it was always my choice to keep or dump XP, I think his suggestion to do so and my acceptance of the idea was a good one overall and that his suggestion was actually based in the idea that if I didn't have XP to fall back on I would HAVE to work through gettin more familiar with my new set up and in doing so would teach myself quite a bit along the way, which was and is very true.

Yep, the one area I've always been apprehensive about is anytime I've been forced to work through anything in the command line. I've had a few sucesses and many more less than fulfilling ventures into the console window and know that a better understanding of that area of my OS would be a huge boon all in all. Hell, just getting to the point where I understand all the basic command prompts would be a big help at this point eye popping smiley

Got a good tutorial you or anyone else here could recommend ?

smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2007 01:02PM by Mrkim.
Posted by: katalyst [x] - (58.109.77.---)
Date: October 25, 2007 07:32AM
Back on topic...what actually happened to those stumpleupon / digg links anyway?
Date: October 25, 2007 09:03AM
Not much use so i removed them. Just like the links section =)
Posted by: Placelowerplace [x] - (24.21.239.---)
Date: October 25, 2007 02:58PM
What!? you mean to say no one wants random adware installed on thier computer and unexpected crashes of thier web browser? THOSE PEOPLE!!! thumbs down
Posted by: zxz555 [x] - (83.108.41.---)
Date: October 26, 2007 05:52PM
MrKim, I`ve been a mac user for about 5 years now but have to use PCs at work and sometimes at home and I have to say that mac is best if you want something that is just easy to use and stable. Very stable I have found. But then I have never heard of anyone like DK who has actually stopped all 150 Windaes programs starting on start up and also limiting the amount of useless programs on the machine. Plus I believe he might be right about that anti-virus software being a scam, otherwise why the constant auto-opening browser messages telling you to update \ resubscribe? For people who want something that works a mac is in my opinion the better machine. If you want to go into how it all works you can still do that too.

Incidentally, mine actually died on me a couple of years back and when I phoned apple they said just to leave it switched off for 24 hours to rest. It had made a full recovery when I switched back on... confused smiley I have had the same emac now for 5 years and all I have done is add SDram, update the OS to 10.4.2 and get an external drive for extra storage (the original drive is just 40GB cool smiley I am thinking about retiring it now before it dies on me but mostly because I don`t own a TV and want a bigger screen to watch movies on.

Dk, macs do cost more and yes they use pentiums now but that means you can divide your HD and run both mac OSX and MIcroshite simultaneously, a pretty god idea from apple to regain market share, I think. The extra price tag also includes excellent built in sound even from the tiny speakers that were on e-macs and other built in devices like cameras and mics. I know they can be bought separately and it will all still be cheaper than a mac, but then you have to monkey around with it all to get it all set up and it does not look nice. smiling smiley

And now we know what really interests DK, not naked ladies, but naked computers the finger smiley
Posted by: woberto [x] - (59.154.144.---)
Date: October 28, 2007 09:14PM
For those of you windoze users with NetBIOS malware, execute this.

sc stop Messenger

sc config Messenger start= disabled
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2007 02:59AM
I want my money back from reading this thread
Posted by: zxz555 [x] - (158.36.146.---)
Date: October 30, 2007 12:53PM
Shit, Pulse, that`s a lotta dough!
Why not register 613 as a company and then sell ownership rights (non-voting) to the regulars? Then you can get some dosh back and retain control.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: