Posted by: DarkKlown [x] - (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2009 08:53AM
Looks like the webserver application died. Unsure when this happened but it's all restarted and back to serving all your needs.

-/ Monitoring? Who needs Monitoring??!??
Posted by: pro_junior [x] - (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2009 12:03PM
Posted by: dv8 [x] - (69.132.105.---)
Date: June 18, 2009 01:25PM
i began to go through withdrawals. i spent the down time coming up with a way to bring forth world peace and feed the hungry of the world and just as i was about to hit save plus613 came back on and i said cool a picture of a sunrise and lost the solution to the worlds problems. maybe next time.the finger smiley
Posted by: pulse [x] - (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2009 04:26AM
Hrm, interesting.

It did that the other day too, I restarted it last weekend I think. Sometime within the last week, anyway. It was accepting connection but httpd not responding.

Frankly, I blame DK. It's blatantly his fault. It always is.
Date: June 20, 2009 08:09AM
Seems i do all the work around here i must take blame for anything that breaks. I've updated the webserver code.. see if that fixes things.
Date: June 20, 2009 08:17AM
You? Work?

I didn't realise comedy was part of your repertoire now!
Date: June 25, 2009 01:05PM
More downtime! Yay.

This one's not even our fault. After battling with the hosting company, they've informed me of a 'damaged' patch cable. Quite how it would become damaged when, in theory, nobody should be touching it is beyond me, but they've replaced it and just like magic the server is back online.
Posted by: quasi [x] - (208.78.130.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 02:39PM
Isn't the server in Texas? Prob'ly somebody spilled some of MrKim's hot sauce on the cable and the stuff ate right through it.
Posted by: fossil_digger [x] - (76.185.252.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 04:04PM
i'm convinced Kim has no taste buds. i saw him eat stuff that i could smell across the table....light green/slimy.....ouch!
Date: June 25, 2009 10:01PM
Most food that somebody was eating you could smell across the table..

But no, it's in Florida (Miami), but I blame all of you.
Posted by: woberto [x] - (165.228.161.---)
Date: June 25, 2009 10:04PM
I blame Dv8, it has to be something to do with the smiley request
Date: June 26, 2009 01:28AM
i'm going to mail you some pulse totally lost....send me your addy. tongue sticking out smiley
Date: June 26, 2009 02:03AM
Miami! Oh shit, we are in trouble.
Date: June 26, 2009 06:24AM
have a pepsi
Date: June 26, 2009 03:21PM
chickenshit! star wars fighting
Date: June 26, 2009 04:53PM
Are you sure your getting your money's worth in Miami?

MIAMI (AP) — Eight people have been indicted for their roles in an alleged $22 million Medicare fraud scheme operated out of a Miami business.

The U.S. Attorney's Office announced Friday that those charged with conspiracy to commit health care fraud are Gladys Zambrana, Javier Zambrana, Enrique Perez, Alejandro Hernandez Quiros, Vanessa Estrada, Vicenta Tellechea, Modesto Hidalgo and Carlos Castaneda.

Prosecutors say that the ring operated two agencies where beneficiaries were recruited and paid bribes to arrange for their Medicare beneficiary numbers to file claims for home health care services. According to the indictments, the services were not provided and were not necessary.

Officials did not immediately know of an attorney for those charged.
Date: June 26, 2009 05:00PM
Yeah nobody is committing benefit fraud and paying us the big dollars.. Hrmph!
Date: July 12, 2009 06:35AM
*cough* what about monitoring?

Yeah, the web service died again. Thinking it might be time to swap it for something else, go back to the relative safety of Apache or something.

Anyway, obviously the site is back up. We'll see how long this lasts for!
Date: July 31, 2009 01:04AM
Someone set up us the bomb!

Web server died again. Dunno when. Uuh.. so yeah.

Maybe a monitoring solution is a good idea. Or an automatic graceful restart of the web service every day smiling smiley

I dunno.

Stupid thing.
Date: August 01, 2009 03:49AM
I've setup some stuff to auto-restart the web process on failure, so hopefully that was the last of that.
Date: August 17, 2009 09:44AM
I got bored today at work so also setup server monitoring for our web, db, thumbs and image farm 1 and 2, plus the mail/DNS services. It alerts instantly to my mobile and email.

It's already paid off. We had an outage on the core thumbnail server tonight, and it was back online in 12 Mins rather than... Days.

Who says we do nothing around here? smiling smiley
Date: August 21, 2009 09:45PM
I think it's only been said that you do nothing around here.. but hey nice to see you putting some effort in...
Date: August 22, 2009 10:00AM
It makes a change for one of us... grinning smiley
Date: February 20, 2010 03:53AM
So we haven't had too much downtime for a while, so today thought it'd be a good time to start.

Thanks for the mail FD, mail is pushed straight to my phone so I actually saw it straight away.. but using an ssh application on an iphone makes it fucking hard to do proper fault analysis!

Anyway, I rebooted the server and it's back online. Since then I've restarted everything properly again, making sure everything is clean as we were getting some database errors. Hopefully that's the last of that.

I have this horrible feeling that a server failure is imminent, we're due for something catastrophic to happen, which is especially annoying because we own the hardware these days. Maybe one of our friends in Florida will be able to go and do hardware replacements for us if it happens smiling smiley

Fortunately, we have backups...
Date: October 22, 2013 10:52AM
Any of you dudes live anywhere remotely near Miami?
Posted by: quasi [x] - (184.240.149.---)
Date: October 22, 2013 01:39PM
At the risk of getting in over my head and making a trip to a place I have no desire to go, it's about a two and a half or three hour drive from me. How can I help?
Date: October 22, 2013 02:09PM
smiling smiley I've never been further east than Chicago so I'm not sure how horrible the idea is.

I'm considering changing hosting companies and my servers are there. While they promised they'd help ship anywhere I don't trust them and I doubt they'd ship to another hosting co.. just considering options, eg pickup, somewhere to ship to/ship from etc.

Also don't know how to handle the downtime. Anyway just kicking around ideas at the moment. It's difficult when you're ~9000 miles away.

Thanks for the offer. I'll think some more.
Posted by: quasi [x] - (184.240.149.---)
Date: October 22, 2013 02:34PM
No worries. Anything I can do to assist just let me know.
Posted by: Mrkim [x] - (184.20.81.---)
Date: October 23, 2013 10:07PM
I live remotely close to Miami .... in terms of the earths proximity to the sun. Does that count confused smiley
Date: October 24, 2013 06:19AM
Your usefulness can be measured as one micron on that scale. smiling smiley
Your Name: 
Subject: